Over the phone:
Boss: What's your story?
Reporter: Wait sir, I'll google it.
True story.
Of course, this ended with the boss putting down the phone on the reporter, loud enough for everyone to ask "sino kausap niya?"
That's how awesome Google is. This journalist was at a two-hour presscon and still Google knows better.
If you or I were this reporter, it's probably time to give Google a break. This is a clear path to self-destruction.
Google, like other innovations, is bound to happen. If it were up to us, wouldn't we want Google to be the third half of our brain?
But that would be too much, isn't it? Scary, even.
I wrote about technology versus content in News productions for my last entry. (I was kind of hoping I reserved that for this week's blog, but anyway...hahaha!) It's so easy for technology to overshadow content. But that's not technology's problem. So bottomline, does it help or does it hurt?
As I am writing this, I am monitoring the UST vs DLSU match in the UAAP via Twitter. Talo ang UST, ouch! It was so close. No TV, no commentator, no warring pep squads, but I felt like I was at ringside.
This is what technology does to us, I think. It makes us feel like we're part of something amazing. It makes us feel important.
And to a certain extent, vain. That is according to a scientist at Oxford. According to Baroness Greenfield, social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter have made this generation obsessed with themselves. Greenfield asks, "Why should someone be interested in what someone else has had for breakfast?"
The more vain part is users actually wait for several people to comment. In short, Greenfield is suggesting that over-exposure to these websites create mini-celebrities in us.
Pathetic, isn't it?
But the good thing is, we are in control. Technology can make robots fall in love but why should we fall for that? There is no stopping these innovations. They are just a matter of time and they are I believe, necessary. AS to how much of it we take in is up to us.
Technology is for the most part helpful. Makes life easier. It could only hurt if we let it.
I believe in IC. That we should not be at the mercy of new technologies.These newbies should just help us and we should not let ourselves be dependent on te3chnologies.
ReplyDelete"Technology is for the most part helpful. Makes life easier. It could only hurt if we let it."
ReplyDeleteI totally agree. I think in the end its up to every individual to decide whether how much he/she wants technology to influence her. One can only be dependent on Google as one allows his or herself to be. As you said, it is not technologies fault. It would not develop if people had not been so eager for it.
"Greenfield asks, "Why should someone be interested in what someone else has had for breakfast?" The more vain part is users actually wait for several people to comment. In short, Greenfield is suggesting that over-exposure to these websites create mini-celebrities in us."
ReplyDeleteThis part of your post really resonated with me, because I find it to be completely true, specially when I look at the way Twitter is used. I myself don't have a Twitter account, precisly because I wouldn't know what to say, let alone keep up a constant stream of 140 character updates daily. I do, however, check some celebrity Twitter accounts that I have bookmarked, because it's a great tool to make fans feel more connected to you as a bona fide celebrity. But sometimes, our use of technology becomes so mechanical, so much so that we don't think about what we're doing anymore as long as it's aligned with what our gadgets tell us.